Monday, July 5, 2010

Share not just the "Knowledge" but the "Obvious" things too


Share



I work on one of the US Accounts, and it requires me to host meetings over phone. My company has provided me a passcode to dial out on a toll free no. to attend US calls such that bill is generated directly to the company and not to me by phone service provider. Thing is, passcode helps you to just host a call, and if you wish to dial out, there is a feature set of combination to be punched in to join a meeting hosted on US bridge.

Truly speaking, it takes couple of weeks to get the passcode from the company. Last week, one of my colleague asked "Mayank, how much are you billed on phone every month?". I said "Below Rs.800/month". She gave me a surprised look and further asked "Don't you attend calls from home?". I said , "Yes, I do, but I use combination set to dial out to US nos." & she was happy to have discovered the solution to the problem which was worrying her since three months.

I explained on how can you minimize your phone bill and send it directly to company, & still make calls to US without worries. Further she asked me a question "What was your phone bill when you were not having passcode?" I said "Zero!” And guess, she was more happy to have the solution of another bigger problem. She was dialing personal calls to US, and paying much higher than me, because I subscribed for Yahoo Voice for $10/year to make unlimited calls to US toll free nos(most of the meeting bridges are toll free) & other US numbers on 1cent/min. And I am using it since 4 years now to make PC to Phone calls from anywhere in the world!

Same glow I see on faces of people when they see me searching for places and finding route on my GPS phone using Google Maps. But it is nothing special to me as I am doing the same since one year now in India.

Giving the thought further, I analysed that something which is "obvious" to me is "knowledge" to somebody else. And all "obvious" things in our life don't hold "something special" within, where as new "knowledge" is all "special". Getting down to one more level, things like Alphabets on our Keyboard or doing calculations while giving money in the market goes further to "backside processing" of our mind. We truly don't notice it, or acknowledge it, because we had been doing the same since decades.

It is recommended to "share" not just the "knowledge" you hold, but "share the obvious" things too. You never know your "obvious" can be somebody's "knowledge" today!

0 comments:

Post a Comment